Rwanda extends lockdown as COVID-19 cases reach 143

Share This Content

Cabinet Friday extended COVID-19 lockdown until April 30 in order to further contain the spread of the virus, a communiqué issued by the Prime Minister’s office said as confirmed cases in the country reached 143.

According to the Ministry of Health, five new cases of new coronavirus were reported Friday out of 760 samples which had been tested in the past 24 hours. At least 65 have recovered.

Unnecessary movement and visits outside the home are not permitted except for essential services such as healthcare, food shopping or banking and for personnel performing such services, the government communiqué said.

The government had announced initial two-week lockdown on March 21, which was extended until April 19.

Places of worship, schools and higher education institutions both public and private, will remain closed the statement said.

Education institutions were encouraged to use technology to continue instruction.

All employees public and private shall continue to use technology to work from home, except for those providing essential services, the communiqué added.

Borders, according to the statement will remain closed except for goods and cargo as well as returning Rwandan citizens and legal residents who will be subject to mandatory 14 day quarantine at designated locations.

Travel between different cities and districts of the country remains forbidden, except for medical reasons or essential services, it said.

Besides transport of food and essential services which will continue to function, the statement noted shops and markets will remain closed except those selling food, medicine and other essentials.

Share This Content

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *