Rwanda National Police Sunday warned the public against violating lockdown measures as the Ministry of Health reported ten new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country, bringing the number to 70.
The government banned travel between cities and districts in order to contain the spread of the virus.
Non-essential businesses are closed, travel between cities and districts remains suspended and non-essential movements outside home is not permitted.
Police spokesperson CP JB Kabera reiterated Sunday that the lockdown measures remain in place.
From Monday to Saturday people have to stay at home, until further notice, he said, while appearing on Rwanda Television.
“We warn people violating these measures; people should understand that protecting lives is everyone’s responsibility,” he said.
“We also warn people who open bars or turn their houses into them by inviting friends or neighbors. Others open restaurants, serve and let their clients eat from their premises. It is illegal and punishable by the law.”
The new patients reported Sunday include six travellers who had arrived in the country from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and were under quarantine and two travellers who had arrived from South Africa and were isolated, according to the Ministry of Health.
Others included one traveler from Nigeria who had been isolated and another traveller who had made frequent travels in the East African region and had been isolated.
The majority of the patients are asymptomatic and no patient is in critical condition, according to the ministry.
The ministry has urged heightened vigilance, stressing that the enhanced prevention measures announced by the government must be rigorously observed.